Wednesday, April 27, 2011

MMA + MEM = LUV

I've never been into Asian guys that way, but we just attended a Muay Thai fight and those guys were all hot. And Ralph and I both agree that the only two white guys (Canada and France, respectively) in any of the bouts were brought in to make their opponents look really good.

I've never seen any kind of fight live--of course, not counting the wrestlers of Rye High oozing teenage machismo--and at first thought I would be disturbed by the brutal force. I've taken kick boxing exercise classes, but I've never seen an actual roundhouse to the kidney before! It looks like it hurts very much. But it was so entertaining! And at the end the fighters respectfully hugged it out! (Except for the Canadian who couldn't walk and the Frenchman who likely was concussed... they had to leave the ring immediately for medical attention... hope they have travelers medical insurance!)

Also, the Chinese contenders in tonight's fight were machines. It kept making me think about how Olympic commentators for gymnastics are always like "the government plucked this Chinese gymnast from her village as a little girl and all she has ever known is a gymnasium. She thinks of the beam as her mom and the parallel bars as her brother and sister." See where I'm going with this?

When I get back to San Francisco I'm going to see if there are any Muay Thai fights in town... I mean, as the Ellis Island of the West, there must be.

In other news, we don't have really any other news. We just arrived in Bangkok last night and were previously spending all of our time laying on the beach and reading. This is what we were working with:

Reading on the beach, but not on the sand with the bugs

Our bungalow at Dolphin Bungalows

Ao Thong Nai Pan Yai beach

More Ao Thong Nai Pan Yai beach

Stormy skies at Ibiza Bungalows

Moped!!

'Nuff said

Ao Chaloklum beach

Me and Ralph! In the country where they train their fighters like machines...

1 comment: