Monday, October 4, 2010

Here's to Maverick and Goose

Ralph takes the driver's seat

A lot of people say that traveling with a significant other is a great test of the relationship. But relaxing, hanging out, enjoying the sights that don’t include a computer or work… those are really fun and pretty easy things to do together. It’s the navigation of those roads that gives you a real pulse.

Even though I grew up in the ‘burbs and love visiting our national and state park system, I’m more of a city girl day-to-day. Not in cars much. And especially ones I’m responsible for.

I should probably stop here for a moment and tell you that my dad was a professional navigator in the United States Air Force for tankers carrying a large amount of fuel… they really trusted that guy. And I should also tell you that they barely let me on base [remember that time in high school, family? So much fun :)]… his kids, that Air Force trusted notsomuch.

Being the budget travelers we are, on a recent trip to Ireland we decided the rental car (no buses!) was a plush enough splurge without adding a GPS system or automatic transmission. I got in on the left side of the car, and with trepidation and a sense of responsibility, I took on the position of Navigator.

And we were off!... motoring up the highway to meet one of my oldest and loveliest friends Leslie and her boyfriend Colin. We picked them up and headed to the Aran Islands on one of the most gorgeous days Ireland has ever seen. No big stories on the way there, but on the way home (coming off of two red-eyes!)… Leslie and Colin turned from friends to witnesses as we drove around the medieval streets of Galway. I lived there without a car… how am I supposed to know which streets are one way and in which direction?!?

Ralph, my determined-to-stay-calm driver, offered this nugget: “Just keep me off the cobblestoned pedestrian streets and we’ll be good.”

We’re good.

Cheers! Ralph, me, Leslie and Colin love us some Jameson!

No comments:

Post a Comment